A Birthday Week “Off”

< | >

This week we celebrated my birthday by taking a week off work. We’d planned to have some visitors in the house, but unfortunately the fates conspired against us and we were left to our own devices. This mostly meant trying to find things to do and working hard not to go stir crazy. Before all that, though, there was the birthday.


We began with breakfast.

Yes, I cooked my own birthday breakfast. I wasn’t going to force my lovely wife to make cinnamon roll pancakes for me. Everyone enjoyed them thoroughly, and we quickly moved on to opening up some presents.


I got a guitar, and a game that will (hopefully) teach me how to actually play it.


Tough to see, but Christy got me a GoPro.

Many, many waterproof videos to come, I assure you.

Like this one!

The boys love this thing.

The rest of the day was a bit of relaxing, a bit of dinner, and a bit of delicious dessert.


Cupcakes from our favorite bakery.


Max’s kind of looked like a mustache.

The following day we decided to let the boys have a bit of fun outside since the weather was behaving for us.


So out came the bikes!

It was so nice, in fact, that we all decided to ride down to Max’s school and let the kids play on the playground for a while. Unfortunately, Max and I arrived fairly quickly but left Mommy and Owen behind. I became concerned after a little while and we decided to backtrack, only to find that Mommy was having to carry Owen’s bike because his chain fell off. We replaced the chain, got a little play time in, and thankfully headed back home without further incident.

On Wednesday we had a grand day planned that involved quite a bit of driving. We all got in the car and headed over to Fort Worth to surprise the kids with a morning at the museum. Unfortunately, in our desire to arrive early we forgot to check when the museum actually opened. So we wound up going over to the stockyards (which also weren’t open yet) to waste a little time.


They had horses there.


Plus these things. He could at least pretend to be having fun.


I guess that’s better.


Max has a better grasp on how to pander to me.

After confirming that absolutely everything wasn’t even remotely open, we returned to the museum in time to catch a movie about lemurs on an enormous screen.


Owen wasn’t quite sure what to think, but he did like the lemurs.

This was a much smaller museum than the one in Dallas, so we only spent a little more time looking around at exhibits.


Dinosaur footprints and what not.


Dinosaur digging or somesuch.

We did find something that kept a few of us occupied for a little when we wandered into the kids activity area. But first, a brief video interlude.


They tried to get me to do this, but I passed for obvious reasons.

Nearby there was a room filled with random activities.


Max wanted to build a cool thing.


Owen wanted to build a cool thing.


Mommy wanted to build a cool thing.

Once they were all done making cool things, we made our way through the rest of the museum.


There was a giant lite brite.


There was a shadow puppet theater.


And, finally, there were some water guns.

We left there, had some lunch, and headed home to chill the rest of the day. The next day we had a bit of a surprise for us outside. For a month or so there’s been a bird chilling up on the corner of our porch.


Then one day there were two more birds chilling on our porch.


The cat found this fascinating.

Later that evening we decided it was time for the boys to help mommy with a cooking project.


We’re helping!


I had to help a little with the scooping process.

The following morning Owen insisted on helping out with yet another cooking project. He’d tackled cookies, but now we needed to make use of some cherries we’d bought.


He was all about the cherry pitting contraption we have.

Why all the baking? We had some plans for the weekend and thought we might share some deliciousness with the crowd.


The boys love these crazy building things Mimi bought.


…but not as much as they love video games…

We brought all sorts of unhealthy snacks, so I guess JoAnn decided she should bring something a little more healthy. Unfortunately there was a bit of an accident. Casen showed up at the door holding what was left of the snack, so I kindly helped him by taking a photo and walking away.


The rest of the night was spent playing video games, basketball, and whatever the boys could dig out of the various lawn toy bags. We stayed a bit too late (as we usually do) but everyone had a lot of fun. The rest of the weekend was spent trying to get ourselves back to normal before we had to go back to work. This meant telling the boys to go find something fun to do in the play room while we tried to get the house back in order.


That is not your costume.

It wasn’t really much of a break for us as we spent much of the week trying to find fun things for the kids to do, but time off work is nice either way. Next time we’ll try to plan an actual vacation for ourselves.

If you want to check out the rest of the photos from the week, click here. Otherwise we’ll see you next time!

About the Author

No comments

Leave a Reply